Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Toddler Apple Biscuit/ Bread Stick Recipe

I came up with this recipe while trying to find a semi healthy cookie recipe for my grandchildren. Every recipe I looked at called for a cup of sugar and or butter. While that is fine for a once in a while treat I wanted something I would not feel guilty about giving my grandchildren more often.  So I made my own recipe.
They are a cross between a biscuit/cookie and a bread stick.

Apple Biscuit Stick
Ingredients

2 1/4 cups flour (more or less)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 pealed and cored apple (I used granny smith)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease  and flour a baking sheet.  In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder and salt mix well. Shred the apple with a grater or chop to very small cubes. Add eggs, honey, olive oil and shredded apple to the flour mixture. Mix dough until consistency is like a biscuit dough. Add flour if dough is sticky. Add water if dough is dry and stiff.   Take about a tablespoon of dough in hand and roll into a bread stick shape.  Place on baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash. Lightly dust with a pinch of sugar. Bake about 10 minutes until tops are lightly brown. 
I served this as a snack with plain yogurt. The grandchildren like to dip their cookies or crackers so this is a great dipping stick.

Hip Homeschool Hop Button

10 comments:

Mrs. Liberty said...

Looks yummy.

Penny Pincher said...

I'm sure my toddler would love these too. I like that they are not too sweet and not too savory:)

Mommie Kate said...

Wow- I'm going to have to try this recipe. I'm not wild about sugary snacks, either. I'm so glad to have found you through the Hip Homeschool Hop.

Erin said...

Hi! Coming over from HHH and I love the sound of this recipe! I agree that so many Fall recipes have loads of sugar and butter. My kids love dipping things, so these sound perfect for them. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Another great idea from you Grandma:)) Sure my toddler will love these;)

Mariella said...

This looks "delicioso"...Yummy! I'll definitely be trying it! Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Stopping over to say thank you for your comment about my blog post on Modesty. I totally agree with you as well.

Now your newest follower because those Apple Biscuit Sticks look really good...and I have to try them...soon!

Feel free to stop by one of my blogs and say "Hi!"

http://gricefullyhomeschooling.blogspot.com/
http://leadmeloveme.blogspot.com/

Hope you have a blessed week!

Lorie said...

Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for stopping by Reading Confetti! I'm a new follower!

kewkew said...

This does look good. Think I will be adding this to my Pinterest board.

Quirky Homemaker said...

Great idea! Maybe I'll try this with pears today!